Sunday, July 20, 2014

Rainy day in Georgia

Well it’s a rainy stormy kind of day here in Georgia today.  So I figured it was a perfect afternoon to work on some quilt squares.  So I decided to get started on a half square triangle quilt I saw on the Missouri Quilt Companies YouTube page   I even bought the print charm packs she used; I however have tons of white Kona fabric here so decided to make my own white squares to go with the charm packs.  I am half way through the first set of 3 packs.  Once I get them sewn I will press and cut as described in the video and then go on to the next charm pack.  Here is my progress so far.
It is a nice break from working on Celtic Solstice.  I have my chevrons done, not sure if I want to go back to the pinwheels again (I had such a hard time with them last time I tried) or move on to the last set of blocks.  I know, I know I will eventually have to go back to the pinwheels.  Anyway, here are some of my chevrons.  I still have to trim and square them up.
Now I'm taking a break from sewing to make dinner, 2 of my 3 sons are here and we are having a nice Sunday dinner together.  Steaks and baked potatoes are on the menu but due to weather we will have to cook the steak indoors instead of on the grill.  Remind me to share my baked potato recipe with you all.  I don't microwave them anymore and have even made a convert out of my hubby who will pick french fries anytime.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I tried a fabric box

I decided to try a fabric box that one of the ladies in one of my Facebook quilt groups posted the directions for.  You can go here to see the instructions;

I decided to try and do 8" square, only because I wasn't paying attention and didn't cut straight on one side and had to make it smaller then the directions.

So this is the fabric I decided to go with first of all.  I kind of like the orange and lime green together :)

I was trying to figure out how to quilt it and thought about circles but couldn't get my compass to work right so I used my various sized Hex templates to draw the design on the fabric
I think it turned out pretty nice.  Then I had to build the box which wasn't as hard as I thought.  I did decide that since I made mine smaller then the one in the directions I had to make my corners smaller.  But I think it turned out fine.
Then I turned it right side out and pressed it, sewed the corners down.

Then I added my buttons and it was done.  I have decided that since I take my normal glasses off to sew and use cheaters (and seem to never remember where I put them)I am going to use this cute little box to hold my glasses :)