Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

September 11

People are telling stories of were they were 12 years ago today when the Towers fell.  I too will share my story.  It starts a couple of months before that.  My mom was in the last stages of liver cancer and in August had gone into hospice care at home.  I had fallen about 6 months before after slipping on a wet floor and had to has arthroscopic surgery on my knee.  I had that on Sept 10.  My husband worked at Robins AFB and it was the end of the fiscal year and my kids were in school.  On Sept 11 they all left to go their various ways.  I was left home with my coffee, walker, cross stitch and TV remote but no one thought to give me the cordless phone, I was bandaged on my right let from calf to thigh and not suppose to walk on it for a few days.  So I'm sitting in the lazy-boy chair a movie on TV when my sister Traci called me.  I didn't make it to the phone in time and the answering machine picked up.  She sounded so urgent and told me to call her back right away.  I thought Oh God something happened to mom.  So I hobbled into the bedroom to get the cordless, sat down on the bed and called her back.  She said turn on the TV news, I did just in time to see the plane hit the second tower.  We spent almost the entire morning on the phone watching all the stuff happen, all the rumors etc.  I was thinking of my brother stationed at Robins, my hubby working there and my kids in school.  I prayed and prayed for all those people in the WTC and the Pentagon.  I prayed for the President, that he would be up to the challenges before him.  I prayed for all the folks that now had to land elsewhere in their planes because now it wasn't safe for them to come home. I prayed for our country, we are strong and we came together in this time of crisis.  I wondered afterwards why does it always take a time of crisis to bring us together that way.  I hope we will never forget what we lost and what we have gained since that day and May God Bless America.

No comments: